Tuesday, September 13, 2011

To Ignite or to Kill. . .

Everyone reading this blog would likely agree that words can be powerful! However, most of us tend to communicate in such a way that gives little attention to how words are actually used in our everyday discussions. In the name of being “easy-going” or “honest” or “transparent” or “casual”, we sometimes use words and phrases that hurt relationships and don’t serve to motivate others in any way.
I am going to take the next week to think carefully about whether my words ignite or kill. I am going to carefully use words to build up others, to encourage good actions, to enhance my relationships. I am going to avoid words that will destroy creativity or discourage the listener or keep me and my colleagues from moving forward in a positive way.
Here are some examples of phrases – ones that could “ignite” and ones that could “kill” – we’d love to hear some of YOUR examples– for either side of the ledger!

KILLER PHRASES. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . IGNITER PHRASES
How was I supposed to know?. . . . . . . . . . . . . .We can always depend on you.
We’ve tried that before. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Let’s pull together!
I can’t. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Is there any way I can help?
There’s not enough time. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Things are beginning to get going!
I wish it were over. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . We’re on the right track now.
You can’t expect miracles. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Okay, that’s one in a row!
Look how much bigger THEY are. . . . . . . . . . . . . Just a temporary setback.
It won’t work. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Keep up the good work.
Let’s discuss it some other time. . . . . . . . . . . . . .How about right now?
If only we could have.... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .It might work!
What’s the use? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Why not?
You don’t understand. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .You bet I will!
Do we have to? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Congratulations!
We’ve never done it that way. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .I have faith in you.
It’s too new/old fashioned. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . My mistake; I’m sorry.
Yes, but... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Yes, and...

No comments:

Post a Comment